Friday, June 29, 2007

"Only a married man could take it like that!"

It's difficult for me to pick a favorite cartoon from Famous Studios, as, contrary to popular belief, many of the ones from the 1940s to early 1950s are very funny. If I have to pick one though, it's probably "Sudden Fried Chicken" (1946).

I really wish I knew who animated what in this one, as the animation and timing is first-rate in this one. I love how Hector (called 'Henry' in the opening credits) was redesigned to look more wimpy looking by whoever laid out the picture. I always loved how if a man harms his wife, it's cruel and abusive, but when a wife does it to her hubby, it's comedy. What a great country!

Walt Kelly did a few comic book stories based on these characters in 1944 when Western briefly had the license to use the non-Popeye Famous stable. I wish I had scans of them (Gerstein, please send them to me again).


Popout

No comments:

Post a Comment