Friday, March 2, 2007

Daffy's Southern Exposure

The snow won't stop around here so I thought this cartoon would be appropriate.

There's always been a Norm McCabe stigma in all the books and message boards that I've never quite understood. There's really not much of a difference between McCabe's black-and-white Looney Tunes and Clampett's that used the same animators. Many of McCabe's shorts seem better by comparison to the crummy ones Clampett was doing in 1940-41.

I think what turns off most from them is the propaganda nature of McCabe's shorts, which I think may have been enforced in some way since the black-and-whites were the 'potboilers' for the studio. If McCabe had not have been drafted, I think he'd be capable of doing some fine color cartoons, at would be as good of a director as at least McKimson.

"Daffy's Southern Exposure" is a fine cartoon and, IMO, one of the earliest 'real' Daffy cartoons.

I love the gag at around 6:48. The wolf's gloves getting knocked off of him from the blow was obviously something added by the animator... Is this Viv Risto? Larry, Greg, or Mike K., do you know?

Popout

No comments:

Post a Comment