Sunday, April 1, 2007

RUDY LARRIVA IS THE BEST




I have to admit, I have grown extremely fond of the Road Runner cartoons. Yeah, I know they're not on the same level of Chuck's, or any of the Warner shorts of the 40s and 50s, but these are some of the nicest looking and most entertaining cartoons of the 1960s.





There's lots of reasons to like these films, in addition to their excellent timing and gag structure.


TONY RIZZO IS THE GREATEST
The backgrounds in these films were done by Tony Rizzo, and he is one of my favorite painters. I like the use of colors in these films. They read good and scream happy. A lot of Road Runner backgrounds in the Jones films are bland but these are superb in every way.




KILLER ANIMATION
I love the animation in these things too. There is a lot of great "smear" animation in them, with wonderful phrasing of actions.

This scene was animated by Bob Bransford. It is a really excellent piece of animation and is specific and not generic like a lot of 40s Tom & Jerry and Disney animation. Virgil Ross did a lot of animation on these films too and I think it's better than anything he did for Friz.



























I thought now would be a good time to do a montage of all the best Larriva Road Runner gags. I hope you enjoy watching this as much as I did making it.

Popout



NEXT POST
BETTER ACTING WITH THE BEARY FAMILY

No comments:

Post a Comment