Saturday, April 15, 2006

Chuck Jones and Frank Tashlin

A lot of people claim that everyone at Warner Bros. emulated Clampett, but I don't think that's very accurate. I do think that a lot of Clampett's wild energy rubbed off onto the other directors, but if anyone is Chuck Jones' 'mentor', I'd have to say it's Frank Tashlin.

Most always cite Tashlin's THE FOX & GRAPES at Columbia inspiring the Road Runner series as an example, but it goes beyond that. Whenever Tashlin is mentioned, the writer always goes into how his use of different shots and angles is more like something that would be done in live-action. I think Jones wanted to emulate these techniques of Tashlin, and I honestly think his 'borrowing' of them was superior.

Here are a few examples from some of Jones' late 40s shorts (his best!) of different shots and angles that I think were inspired by Tashlin's work.


HAREDEVIL HARE (1948)
Haredevil Hare

FAST & FURRY-OUS (1949)
Fast & Furry-Ous

FOR SCENT-IMENTAL REASONS (1949)
For Scent-Imental Reasons


There is also, of course, this excellent scene from FRIGID HARE (1949), that was animated by Lloyd Vaughan. This may be the greatest chase scene ever put on film. Everything works in it. I feel Carl Stalling's score enhances the enjoyment of it as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment